trying to compile 64bit

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Jun 18 11:44:41 CEST 2004

rkimber at ntlworld.com writes:

>> Note it is not sensible to compile bogofilter in 64-bit mode, everything
>> is 32-bit internally, so going 64-bit is wasteful without benefit.
>>
>> The only exception would be systems that execute 32-bit code a lot
>> slower than 64-bit code - this isn't the case for the Athlon64 series
>> and siblings.
>
> Yes, I understand.  It's just that I haven't yet learned
> (a) how to compile the two different modes

I don't know what the default it, looking at the "size of long" in
config.log should give you a clue, 4 is 32-bit, 8 is 64-bit.

You'd use -m32 or -m64. I am unaware of how 32 and 64-bit code can be
mixed on AMD64, I know that Solaris has a separate ELFCLASS for 64-bit
libraries.

> (b) how to tell which source requires which mode.

> At the moment I'm just doing 'make' and hoping for the best.  I'm just
> grateful if anything works at the moment :)

"make check" should tell you if it's working. I have a 32-bit SuSE 9.1
here so I can at least tell AMD64 issues from SuSE 9.1 isuses :-)

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95