trying to compile 64bit

rkimber at ntlworld.com rkimber at ntlworld.com
Thu Jun 17 22:10:44 CEST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 16:11:06 +0200
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> > I'm trying to compile bogofilter-0.91.3 on my shiny new dual opteron,
> > with a Suse 9.1 system that I don't know much about.

> Please type:
>
> yast -i db-devel
>
> Then try:
>
> CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/db4 ./configure

Many thanks, it's now working fine.

> Note it is not sensible to compile bogofilter in 64-bit mode, everything
> is 32-bit internally, so going 64-bit is wasteful without benefit.
>
> The only exception would be systems that execute 32-bit code a lot
> slower than 64-bit code - this isn't the case for the Athlon64 series
> and siblings.

Yes, I understand.  It's just that I haven't yet learned
(a) how to compile the two different modes
(b) how to tell which source requires which mode.

At the moment I'm just doing 'make' and hoping for the best.  I'm just
grateful if anything works at the moment :)

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber
http://www.psr.keele.ac.uk/