info about spam messages

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Wed Jun 16 21:25:25 CEST 2004

From: "Tayfun ASKER" <tasker at metu.edu.tr>
>   I am planning to determine the frequent spammers from the From: and ip
> addresses of spam messages and to block only these addresses.

Tayfun,

The "From" address will not tell you anything about the spammer in most
cases.  Often, the spammer uses your own email in the "From" field, or a
random username at your server.  Blocking this address will do nothing but
foul up your own mail delivery.  Similarly, you can't depend on the IP that
bogofilter outputs as being that of the spammer either.  You would have to
try to validate it in other ways, including with your MTA.  Ultimately,
outright blocking of any addresses is dangerous.  The best thing to do is to
filter with bogofilter.

Tom