Building on FreeBSD fails

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 8 16:10:22 CEST 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> Look in config.log at the lines before all those #define statements.  In
> particular look (from end of the file towards its beginning) for error
> messages.  Those messages (and the related lines before and after them)
> are where the desired info is.

The problem is that FreeBSD renames libraries (calling Berkeley DB 3.3
for instance -ldb3 rather than just -ldb or -ldb-3.3 as any other OS
would do) and installs them into non-standard paths from its compiler's
POV, so CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and LIBS need to be tweaked. FreeBSD's
configure script is smart enough to let go of a guessed -ldb when it
figures it can do without - for instance with LIBS=-ldb3.

BTW, with a sufficiently recent ports collection, one should be able to:

rsync -av /usr/ports/mail/bogofilter/./ bogofilter/
export WRKDIRPREFIX=/var/tmp
cd bogofilter
make configure
# patch, replace lexer, whatever as necessary
# possibly save a diff.
make

and run the stuff from /var/tmp/HOMEDIRECTORY/bogofilter/bogofilter-X.Y.Z/src

Ugly but solves the build issues.

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95