Building on FreeBSD fails

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Jun 8 16:05:53 CEST 2004

Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> writes:

> David Relson wrote:
>
>>> I try to build bogofilter on a FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE machine (I
>>> am not root!). I get this message:
>
> I should have added that it happens with 0.17.5 and 0.91.1.

Yup. BSDs have a long tradition of twisting the library names and paths
(libdb-3.3.so becomes libdb3.so.3), and at least FreeBSD doesn't include
/usr/local in the default search path AFAIR.

I wonder where this junk comes from, my guess is that the renaming is a
leftover from the a.out times -- and FreeBSD's ldconfig will only take
libraries with a major number after the .so. :-/

Encrypted mail welcome: my GnuPG key ID is 0x052E7D95