bogus bogotuning

Lars Clausen lc at statsbiblioteket.dk
Thu Jan 29 17:21:09 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 16:58, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> I ask again, if I make a patch is there any chance at all that it might
> be included?  Or does everyone here agree with some people that say all
> of your users are stupid idiots who will ignore all instructions and
> warnings?

It's a safe bet that more users would ignore warnings than would benefit
from the change.  The way to allow the risky business for those who want
it while keeping those safe who don't want to learn all the details of
how bogofilter works would be:  Make an option to turn of 'safety
checks'.  The 2000 mail limit is purely a safety check, not something
that makes the program crash.  So those that read the *the description
of the option* know what they're getting into, the rest is fine.

The only reason such a patch wouldn't be included is that they're trying
to cut down on the number of options.  If you make a patch that causes
more work for the maintainers (in terms of email from confused users,
for instance), they're likely to refuse it.  If you make it safe &
simple, they are more likely to take it.  I wouldn't as maintainer say
yes until I'd seen the patch in question.

-Lars