bogus bogotuning

Jason A. Smith jazbo at jazbo.dyndns.org
Thu Jan 29 16:58:22 CET 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 10:17, Tom Anderson wrote:
> Jason, the maintainers have the last say in what will be supported.
> I've petitioned for certain changes here and there, and sometimes they
> are accepted, and other times rejected.  You are perfectly free to
> branch off and maintain a new bogofilter for those who share your
> opinions.

Sure, that is a realistic suggestion for a trivial change such as this.

> If, however, you'd prefer to work with the current maintainers, then I
> suggest you make the patch yourself as suggested.  You don't need to
> upgrade bogofilter for quite awhile if you don't want to re-patch, since
> it's a pretty good program in its current version.
>
> Do your experimentation on your own version.  If you never get any good
> results from it, then just stop using your patch.  If you do get good
> results from it, then you should give a full report to the list, as any
> good open-source tester would.  Describe the procedure, variables, etc.,
> and provide graphs and charts to make your results easy to read.  If you
> clearly have something useful, then -- as per the scientific method --
> others can repeat your experiment to verify the results.  If they are
> corroborated, then the changes will be gladly accepted into the project.
>
> Short of that, I think you should drop your petition, as it has clearly
> been rejected otherwise.
>
> Tom

The patch I am suggesting doesn't need any testing, it is trivial.  I am
not even questioning the technical choice behind the number chosen since
I am sure they have done a lot of tests and feel that is a good number
to start with, but they even admit it is just a rough estimate.  I only
object to the fact that this fuzzy number is made exact so the program
returns a fatal error preventing anyone from using any number less that
exactly 2k.  Let the user run with 1800 messages if that is what they
want to do!

I ask again, if I make a patch is there any chance at all that it might
be included?  Or does everyone here agree with some people that say all
of your users are stupid idiots who will ignore all instructions and
warnings?

~Jason