bogus bogotuning

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Thu Jan 29 17:27:13 CET 2004

On 20040129 (Thu) at 1058:22 -0500, Jason A. Smith wrote:

> I ask again, if I make a patch is there any chance at all that it might
> be included?  Or does everyone here agree with some people that say all
> of your users are stupid idiots who will ignore all instructions and
> warnings?

I doubt anyone on this list says that, but it makes a convenient straw
man for the impassioned rhetoric you apparently like to substitute for
rational argument.

Nobody who has built much software is unaware that some quite smart
people occasionally make stupid errors and ignore instructions and
warnings.  Programs for unknown users ought to be built as safely as is
consistent with _useful_ flexibility and functionality.  Hell, programs
I build for _myself_ are made that way, or at least I try to meet that
goal.  That's why I put those limits in in the first place.

David, as lead developer, could you put Jason at rest about whether a
patch from him to restore something like the -F option has any chance
at all of inclusion?  Two people have already told him that if he
builds it and publishes it and enough people like it and advocate it,
we will probably listen.  He doesn't seem to want to believe them.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s         | gpg public key: 0x400B1AA86D9E3E64 |
|  http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   (on my website or any keyserver) |