bogus bogotuning

Tom Anderson tanderso at oac-design.com
Thu Jan 29 16:17:33 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 14:49, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> Why is there so much resistance to this?  It boggles my mind, I have
> never encountered such stubborn closed-minded people in this community
> before.  If you insist on enforcing arbitrary rules on users then maybe
> you should stop using Linux and switch to MS to develop software!  Try
> opening your mind up to the other side of the argument and consider
> other possibilities!

Jason, the maintainers have the last say in what will be supported.
I've petitioned for certain changes here and there, and sometimes they
are accepted, and other times rejected.  You are perfectly free to
branch off and maintain a new bogofilter for those who share your
opinions.

If, however, you'd prefer to work with the current maintainers, then I
suggest you make the patch yourself as suggested.  You don't need to
upgrade bogofilter for quite awhile if you don't want to re-patch, since
it's a pretty good program in its current version.

Do your experimentation on your own version.  If you never get any good
results from it, then just stop using your patch.  If you do get good
results from it, then you should give a full report to the list, as any
good open-source tester would.  Describe the procedure, variables, etc.,
and provide graphs and charts to make your results easy to read.  If you
clearly have something useful, then -- as per the scientific method --
others can repeat your experiment to verify the results.  If they are
corroborated, then the changes will be gladly accepted into the project.

Short of that, I think you should drop your petition, as it has clearly
been rejected otherwise.

Tom