Compile problem - libdb

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Mon Jan 19 16:40:50 CET 2004

pgb at adelard.com writes:

> Why not try the static build of bogofilter?

Adding MBytes of static bulk is not overly suitable for embedded
application, and the statically linked build is plain HUGE. Even
compression doesn't fix that, only a sane libc will.

GNU libc is the proliferation of bloat in itself. A simple hello world
in GNU libc pulls in like 300 kBytes of code and over 1,000 symbols (at
least it did when I last tried that), whereas FreeBSD 4's libc just
added like 85 symbols and a handful of kBytes.

> In my experience the static builds work out of the box,
> though I am not sure if SUSE uses/likes RPM packages.

They do, and according to rpm -Uhv --test, SuSE 9.0 (but not 8.2) would
be able to install the shared version we're offering.