paths and permissions

Matt Garretson mattg at assembly.state.ny.us
Mon Feb 23 16:55:14 CET 2004

David Relson wrote:
> Userid "charlie" doesn't have write access to wordlist.db and can't
> modify the file when logged in and running commands.  However when
> there's email for "charlie", he has write access to the file.  A test

I think that in certain configurations, procmail runs as root (despite
the value of LOGNAME, etc.) until it actually tries to write to the
user's maildrop.  In such cases, bogofilter will also run as root.

If you want to test this theory, add "DROPPRIVS=yes" to the procmail
rc file just before bogofilter -u gets called.  My bet is that it
will start to fail.  So might other things, too, so use caution. :)

-Matt