paths and permissions

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon Feb 23 17:09:57 CET 2004

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 10:55:14 -0500
Matt Garretson wrote:

> David Relson wrote:
> > Userid "charlie" doesn't have write access to wordlist.db and can't
> > modify the file when logged in and running commands.  However when
> > there's email for "charlie", he has write access to the file.  A
> > test
>
> I think that in certain configurations, procmail runs as root (despite
> the value of LOGNAME, etc.) until it actually tries to write to the
> user's maildrop.  In such cases, bogofilter will also run as root.
>
> If you want to test this theory, add "DROPPRIVS=yes" to the procmail
> rc file just before bogofilter -u gets called.  My bet is that it
> will start to fail.  So might other things, too, so use caution. :)
>
> -Matt

Matt,

Thanks for writing.

A bit of checking shows:

-rwsr-sr-x    1 root     mail        72536 Jul 11  2003
/usr/bin/procmail*

which tells me procmail runs setuid.  That gives it privileges
above/beyond what's indicated by environment variables such as UID,
USERNAME, HOME, etc.

With ownership of root, I surmise procmail (and the programs run under
it) can access whatever is necessary.