virtual mailing lists

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Dec 12 19:35:42 CET 2004

Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> writes:

> I thought I might start here.  If I were to ask such questions on the
> postfix-user list they would disembowel me (they're harsh).
>
> I want to set up virtual mail accounts (two domains) that are both
> independent of the unix password list.  This includes myself which will
> probably impossibly complicated because I want what I want.
>
> I'm pretty sure I can figure all this out with postfix and dovecot and
> postgresql, except for some of the delivery.
>
> There are two aspects of local mail delivery that I'm completely
> addicted to.  Using bogofilter and filtering mail on the server (lists).
> to directories.
>
> I've been using procmail with great success for years but am pretty much
> at a loss on how to impliment something like this on virtual mail
> accounts.  I'm not sure if maildrop would be more adept at handling this
> kind of situation or not.

It is. Maildrop, together with the Courier authentication library (this
may need to be installed first, before you start building maildrop, I
haven't checked the code recently -- be sure to download the development
snapshots and let Sam Varshavchik know the odds and ends if it doesn't
work out), can use virtual accounts from several database backends,
among them PostgreSQL. I believe you need to tell maildrop's ./configure
script you want the Courier authentication library to be used, because
that's optional: maildrop can build without, but will then only support
"real" UNIX users from /etc/passwd or NIS or such.

> I tried cyrus-imap before and found it disappointing.  Perhaps I ask too
> much?

I don't think so.