virtual mailing lists

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Mon Dec 13 12:00:38 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
> Tom Allison <tallison at tacocat.net> writes:

>>I've been using procmail with great success for years but am pretty much
>>at a loss on how to impliment something like this on virtual mail
>>accounts.  I'm not sure if maildrop would be more adept at handling this
>>kind of situation or not.
>

> It is. Maildrop, together with the Courier authentication library (this
> may need to be installed first, before you start building maildrop, I
> haven't checked the code recently -- be sure to download the development
> snapshots and let Sam Varshavchik know the odds and ends if it doesn't
> work out), can use virtual accounts from several database backends,
> among them PostgreSQL. I believe you need to tell maildrop's ./configure
> script you want the Courier authentication library to be used, because
> that's optional: maildrop can build without, but will then only support
> "real" UNIX users from /etc/passwd or NIS or such.
>

>>I tried cyrus-imap before and found it disappointing.  Perhaps I ask too
>>much?
>

> I don't think so.

Thank you for sharing the experiences.

I'm currently using dovecot for my imap server (lightweight, very fast,
simple to use) but am beginning to think that overall I may have to move
up to something potentially heavier (courier-imap) with all the fixings.
  Overall, the tradeoff would be dovetcot+procmail+squirrelmail for
courier-imap and most/all of those options.

I know there are posts periodically on bogofilter/maildrop and more
imporantly bogofilter with virtual accounts.  I'll poke around for those
later.  But right now I have a lot more reading to do on maildrop.