massive disk space leak vs thresh_update

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Dec 12 19:30:30 CET 2004

Karl Schmidt <karl at xtronics.com> writes:

> Why not add a deb-configure routine that would default to automaticly
> set up a cron job to clean out the older log files? Advanced users of
> large sites might want to change it, but the more average user won't
> have to get so intimit with the nuts and bolts AND won't have a risk of
> crashing due to running out of disk space.

We cannot prevent the latter, there's always an application left - and
transactions will prevent corrupting the database.

> One ther issue that could frustrate the more average user is file
> permissions. I go in by hand and change the permissions of the working
> files to user.debian-exim, not a show stopper (but still a hassle). It
> seems to me there should be a parameter in the config file to set the
> group on these files with the end goal that package maintainers would
> only have to patch the cfg file to make a clean package for a particular
> distribution.

The option is already there, it's setting the group and "setgid" bit on
the directory:

chgrp somesecondarygroup .bogofilter
chmod g+s .bogofilter

...and the file system handles the rest.