massive disk space leak vs thresh_update

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Dec 12 19:28:24 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> No.  Disabling '-u' is a code change that would force me to run a
> patched version of bogofilter and I'm unwilling to do that.
>
> Using a non-zero value of thresh_update has a significant
> effect on disk usage.  It has a mid-level effect on wordlist.db
> size and a major effect on logfiles.

My idea would be to automatically purge the log files by default (a
bogofilter-internal reimplementation of db_checkpoint +
DB_LOG_AUTOREMOVE) that can be disabled by the configuration file, on
the assumption that a "catastrophic" recovery isn't too common for
bogofilter - the "catastrophic" recovery allows recovery of the
database, but a "hot backup" with bf_tar can also provide the same level
of recovery in usually less space.

> A second thought is to suggest adding a cron job to run db_checkpoint
> and/or db_archive.  People who don't want logfiles using lots of disk
> space won't want to save the logfiles, so letting Berkeley DB delete
> them is reasonable.

But will only work with DB 4.2 forward.