speeding up bogofiltering

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Fri Dec 3 11:53:20 CET 2004

Matthias Andree wrote:
>>Anyway, the question remains: if I get sendmail/fetchmail working, is that all
>>I need? Or is procmail or something similar the actual program that I will
>>use to call bogofilter?
>

> Right, the actual program is, for instance, maildrop
> <URL:http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/>.
>
> I don't recommend procmail for fresh installs, it's very hard to
> configure in a way that it is robust.
>
> Which version of bogofilter is installed on your machine, and how
> exactly is it called? There might be some room for tuning - but I don't
> know offhand if it's KMail or bogofilter that is slow.

Oooo!
Sounds like we might be on the verge of a flame war!

As you can guess, procmail and maildrop occupy much of the same space in
the mail environment.  To just pick one and get on with your life is
probably more productive than trying to decide which is ultimately the best.

For me, procmail is very easy and simple to set up for what I do with
it.  There are some other options that procmail can do, with stored
values and variables, has never been something I've never been
confortable with.

Maildrop, it's never been available w/o courier on Debian until
recently, so maybe someday I'll play with it.