procmail, was: speeding up bogofiltering

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Dec 2 00:24:54 CET 2004

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> writes:

> I attempted to replace procmail with maildrop on my mailserver.  Can't
> be done the way I want it.  I use procmail with a system wide set
> of rules.  Two of my spam related rules are "save copies in mbox
> spam-bogofilter"

This would work with maildrop:

  to "spam-bogofilter"

> and then "put the message in the administrator's mbox,
> rather than the user's mbox".  Since procmail runs as root, the
> mailboxes are all accessible.

This doesn't work, because the administrator's mailbox isn't
accessible, but you can forward the mail to the admin (I'd probably
use someuser+spam or something and add a ~/.forward+spam with separate
filtering instructions).

> AFAICT, maildrop can only run as a user and can only have rules for a
> single user.  That prevents changing mboxs for delivery.  I spent some
> time on the maildrop mailing list discussing this limitation, to little
> effect.  Sigh....

I understand Sam's position. Getting this convenience feature of
procmail's right isn't easy, and if something is wrong, you're giving
r00t privileges to any local user.

You can however use Postfix's content filter to divert mail, you'll need
to write a small script though. Examples in the Postfix documentation.