speeding up bogofiltering

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Dec 1 11:50:33 CET 2004

Trevor Smith <trevor at haligonian.com> writes:

> For a while I've been using bogofilter on my single-user laptop by interfacing
> directly with KMail's (part of KDE) filters. There is actually an anti-spam
> wizard built in that autodetects bogofilter and sets up a filter to pipe
> incoming messages through bogofilter and etc.
>
> For a while I've noticed that this slows KMail down so that it becomes
> relatively unresponsive. The rest of my system remains snappy but there are
> large delays with window redrawing in KMail itself. Maybe spawning tons of
> shells to run bogofilter individually on each message slows things down? I
> dunno.
>
> Anyway, I'm thinking I'd like to explore the more traditional ways of getting
> mail and piping it into bogofilter to see if they are preferable for me. Even
> though I'm just one user, I figure I can still use fetchmail or whatever and
> that might alleviate the unresponsiveness I'm experiencing.
>
> So, assuming I can get sendmail and fetchmail running smoothly, which is it
> that would actually do the passing of messages to bogofilter

Trevor Smith <trevor at haligonian.com> writes:

> On November 29, 2004 2:43 pm, Trevor Smith wrote:
>> So, assuming I can get sendmail and fetchmail running smoothly, which is it
>> that would actually do the passing of messages to bogofilter
>
> Sorry for the abruptly ending email. I had actually saved it for later editing
> and then began playing with sendmail. I wasn't able to get sendmail working
> until just now, but when I did, everything that I *thought* had been sent for
> the past few days suddenly got flushed from my sendmail queue, including my
> incomplete message.
>
> Anyway, the question remains: if I get sendmail/fetchmail working, is that all
> I need? Or is procmail or something similar the actual program that I will
> use to call bogofilter?

Right, the actual program is, for instance, maildrop
<URL:http://www.courier-mta.org/maildrop/>.

I don't recommend procmail for fresh installs, it's very hard to
configure in a way that it is robust.

Which version of bogofilter is installed on your machine, and how
exactly is it called? There might be some room for tuning - but I don't
know offhand if it's KMail or bogofilter that is slow.