speeding up bogofiltering

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Fri Dec 3 11:42:31 CET 2004

Trevor Smith wrote:
> On December 1, 2004 12:27 am, David Relson wrote:
>
>>As to MTA, I've been happy with postfix.  I've seen in a variety of
>>places that postfix is easier to setup than sendmail. Though I've not
>>used sendmail, I can confirm that postfix is pretty easy.
>

> Although I've not tried postfix, I can confirm that sendmail is exceedingly
> hard to set up (or at least to understand how to set up).

I think you'll like postfix, or maybe exim.  Postfix is pretty amazing.
  It can be set up in a few minutes to do the essentials.  Or you have
experience a complete cranial meltdown trying to wrap your brain around
all the different configuration scenarios.

>>Along with postfix, one can use maildrop or procmail.  Maildrop has a
>>nice rules syntax and looks good for a single user.  Procmail is older,
>>well known and suitable for site-wide usage.  Both work well with
>>bogofilter.
>

> OK, so it's maildrop (or procmail), but not sendmail itself that can be used
> to call bogofilter then, right?

Pretty much.

I was told a long time ago that getting procmail (or maildrop) working
on your mail server is just an essential.  I thought he was nuts.  But
now I really can't see doing anything without it.  It's well worth the
time taken to RTFM.

I'll venture a guess that you can use .forward in some fashion, but I'm
not awake enough to really think this one through.  But if you just
tagged the Subject line you could leave it to your mail client to "filter"

But if you are after a cranial meltdown, I'll be $50 that you can figure
out a way to get postfix to do all the mail filtering for you, but that
might be considered cheating.  ;)

Using something I found called proxysmtpd I suspect you could
essentially mimic procmail or move procmail from the end of the mail
delivery stream to the middle of it.  I can't think of any practical
reason for doing this, other than to say that you can.