compile time options

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Sep 30 19:40:30 CEST 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 18:44:00 +0200
Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:
>
> >How about the following, which is short and sweet...
> >
> >The <option>-F</option> option forces the printing of spamicity
> >statistics.
>
> Too short, what statistics on which input?

I'll see if I can come up with a short, clear description.

> >Do you like this revision?
> >
> >	Bogofilter uses a database directory.  The name of the directory
> >	may be supplied by using the <option>-d
> >	<replaceable>dir</replaceable></option> option, or by using a
> >	config file option, or by an environment variable.  If the
> >	directory name isn't given by a command line or config file
> >	option, bogofilter will use the value of
> >	<envar>BOGOFILTER_DIR</envar> is set.
>
> Just to be sure: If it is set in the config file, then
> BOGOFILTER_DIR is ignored? If it is true, then why not
> simply:
>
> :	Bogofilter uses a database directory, which is set in the config
> file.:	If it is not set there, bogofilter will use the value of
> <replaceable>dir</replaceable></option> option. :	If all that's
> not available, bogofilter will use directory :
> <filename>$HOME/.bogofilter</filename>.

Good.  With slight mods this is now in the ENVIRONMENT section.

> >> And moved to the appropriate place.
> >
> >I'm happy with this in the ENVIRONMENT section.  Where do you want it
> >to be?
>
> Perfect at this place, so it should not be repeated in the
> options listing, where a very short version is enough.

The option list is now short and references the ENVIRONMENT section.

> >tests> > ("make check").  Having to generate config files for -W,
> >-WW, -k,> > -m,-o, etc would be a pain in the butt and would make the
> >test> > scripts much bigger and harder to
> >>
> >> Really that much? How many different configs are needed?
> >
> >Just yesterday, I ran the following:
> >
> >for m in 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 ; do
> >   echo "0.$m  " `bogofilter -m0.$m < message`
> >done
> >
> >Without the option, it would be:
> >
> >for m in 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 ; do
> >   echo mindev=0.$m > test.cf
> >   echo "0.$m  " `bogofilter -c test.cf < message`
> >done
>
> Not too bad.
>
> >The options are used heavily in bogotune.
>
> I know, but this is only -m and -o, right? So the rest could
> go.

If I had known we would have this discussion today, I would have have
used more options yesterday :-)

Probably all the options for setting scoring parameters will be kept.