compile time options

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at
Tue Sep 30 18:44:00 CEST 2003

David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> wrote:

>How about the following, which is short and sweet...
>
>The <option>-F</option> option forces the printing of spamicity
>statistics.

Too short, what statistics on which input?

>Do you like this revision?
>
>	Bogofilter uses a database directory.  The name of the directory may be supplied
>	by using the <option>-d <replaceable>dir</replaceable></option> option, or
>	by using a config file option, or by an environment variable.
>	If the directory name isn't given by a command line or config file option,
>	bogofilter will use the value of <envar>BOGOFILTER_DIR</envar> is set.

Just to be sure: If it is set in the config file, then
BOGOFILTER_DIR is ignored? If it is true, then why not
simply:

:	Bogofilter uses a database directory, which is set in the config file.
:	If it is not set there, bogofilter will use the value of <envar>BOGOFILTER_DIR</envar>.
:	Both can be overwritten by the <option>-d <replaceable>dir</replaceable></option> option.
:	If all that's not available, bogofilter will use directory
:	<filename>$HOME/.bogofilter</filename>.

>> And moved to the appropriate place.
>
>I'm happy with this in the ENVIRONMENT section.  Where do you want it to
>be?

Perfect at this place, so it should not be repeated in the
options listing, where a very short version is enough.

>> > Many of these command line options are used in the regression tests
>> > ("make check").  Having to generate config files for -W, -WW, -k,
>> > -m,-o, etc would be a pain in the butt and would make the test
>> > scripts much bigger and harder to
>>
>> Really that much? How many different configs are needed?
>
>Just yesterday, I ran the following:
>
>for m in 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 ; do
>   echo "0.$m  " `bogofilter -m0.$m < message`
>done
>
>Without the option, it would be:
>
>for m in 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 ; do
>   echo mindev=0.$m > test.cf
>   echo "0.$m  " `bogofilter -c test.cf < message`
>done

Not too bad.

>The options are used heavily in bogotune.

I know, but this is only -m and -o, right? So the rest could
go.

>Is this better?
>
>Option <option>-y date</option> can be used to override the current date
>when timestamping tokens.
>A value of zero (0) turns off timestamping.

Yes.

pi