compile time options

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Sep 30 17:23:59 CEST 2003

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 16:02:40 +0200
Boris 'pi' Piwinger <3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at> wrote:

> >printing> >        spamicity statistics.
> >>
> >> I don't understand this one, which makes me feel it is not
> >> needed;-)
> >
> > When checking to see _why_ bogofilter has done something unexpected,
> > this is useful.
>
> I trust you here, but please someone fix the documentation.
> It is strange to say an option can change something, when
> there is no hint, what that something is;-)

How about the following, which is short and sweet...

The <option>-F</option> option forces the printing of spamicity
statistics.

> > >under
> >>
> >> Is that correct? Doesn't the config file come in here?
> >> Anyhow, this is explained later. So "If omitted ..." should
> >> be deleted here.
> >
> > The "default" directory is determined by the environment variables.
> > It can be over-ridden using the config file or the command line.
> > Perhaps this wording can be clarified.

Do you like this revision?

	Bogofilter uses a database directory.  The name of the directory may be
supplied
	by using the <option>-d <replaceable>dir</replaceable></option> option,
or
	by using a config file option, or by an environment variable.
	If the directory name isn't given by a command line or config file
option,
	bogofilter will use the value of <envar>BOGOFILTER_DIR</envar> is set.

	If that's not available, bogofilter will use directory
	<filename>$HOME/.bogofilter</filename>.

> And moved to the appropriate place.

I'm happy with this in the ENVIRONMENT section.  Where do you want it to
be?

> >> Enough if only in config file.
> >
> > Many of the command line options also have config file options.
> > It's a matter of style and preference as to which one (command line
> > or config file) is used.
>
> Right, but -k seems to be very special and nothing you want
> to change on the fly.

Except when testing to determine what cache size performs best ...

> >the> >        min_dev value and, optionally, the robs and  robx
> >values.>
> >>
> >> Useful for testing, but it could be done using the -c
> >> switch. I'd leave them in.
> >
> > Many of these command line options are used in the regression tests
> > ("make check").  Having to generate config files for -W, -WW, -k,
> > -m,-o, etc would be a pain in the butt and would make the test
> > scripts much bigger and harder to
>
> Really that much? How many different configs are needed?

Just yesterday, I ran the following:

for m in 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 ; do
   echo "0.$m  " `bogofilter -m0.$m < message`
done

Without the option, it would be:

for m in 10 15 20 25 30 35 40 45 ; do
   echo mindev=0.$m > test.cf
   echo "0.$m  " `bogofilter -c test.cf < message`
done

The options are used heavily in bogotune.

> >> Is that relevant for bogofilter? Or should that be bogoutil?
> >
> > Can be used to turn off timestamps, thus saving database size.
>
> I don't understand that from the man page, so the wording
> there needs to be improved.

Is this better?

Option <option>-y date</option> can be used to override the current date
when timestamping tokens.
A value of zero (0) turns off timestamping.

As always, your attention to detail contributes to the quality of
bogofilter.

Thank you.