compile time options

Boris 'pi' Piwinger 3.14 at logic.univie.ac.at
Tue Sep 30 16:02:40 CEST 2003

David Relson wrote:

>> >        The -t (terse) option tells bogofilter to print an  abbre­
>>
>> I think, this can go. -T is for machine readability and does
>> what we need.
>
> This is a "not sure".  "-t" offers configurability using bogofilter's
> output formatting capabilities.  "-T" is invariant.

I don't really see we need an individual -t.

>> >        The  -F	(force)	 ignores  threshold  values when printing
>> >        spamicity statistics.
>>
>> I don't understand this one, which makes me feel it is not
>> needed;-)
>
> When checking to see _why_ bogofilter has done something unexpected,
> this is useful.

I trust you here, but please someone fix the documentation.
It is strange to say an option can change something, when
there is no hint, what that something is;-)

>> >        The  -d	dir  option allows you to set the directory under
>> >        which the wordlists will be found to dir. If omitted,  the
>> >        default	directory  will	 be  $BOGOFILTER_DIR  if BOGOFIL­
>> >        TER_DIR is set and $HOME/.bogofilter otherwise.
>>
>> Is that correct? Doesn't the config file come in here?
>> Anyhow, this is explained later. So "If omitted ..." should
>> be deleted here.
>
> The "default" directory is determined by the environment variables.  It
> can be over-ridden using the config file or the command line.  Perhaps
> this wording can be clarified.

And moved to the appropriate place.

>> >        The -k tag option sets the cache size for  the  BerkeleyDB
>> >        subsystem. Properly sizing the cache improves bogofilter's
>> >        performance. Run the bogotune script to determine the rec­
>> >        ommended size.
>>
>> Enough if only in config file.
>
> Many of the command line options also have config file options.  It's a
> matter of style and preference as to which one (command line or config
> file) is used.

Right, but -k seems to be very special and nothing you want
to change on the fly.

>> >        The  -m	[value][,value][,value] option allows setting the
>> >        min_dev value and, optionally, the robs and  robx  values.
>>
>> >        The -o [value][,value] option allows setting the spam_cut­
>> >        off  value  and,	 optionally, the ham_cutoff value.
>>
>> Useful for testing, but it could be done using the -c
>> switch. I'd leave them in.
>
> Many of these command line options are used in the regression tests
> ("make check").  Having to generate config files for -W, -WW, -k, -m,
> -o, etc would be a pain in the butt and would make the test scripts much
> bigger and harder to

Really that much? How many different configs are needed?

>> >        Option -y date specifies the date to give to  tokens  that
>> >        don't have dates.
>>
>> Is that relevant for bogofilter? Or should that be bogoutil?
>
> Can be used to turn off timestamps, thus saving database size.

I don't understand that from the man page, so the wording
there needs to be improved.

pi