Unixware

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Wed Sep 24 21:31:42 CEST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Bob Friesenhahn wrote:

> Does this mean that you won't support Microsoft operating systems as
> well (e.g Cygwin/MinGW environments), since Microsoft is effectively
> funding SCO's lawsuit (SCO is a pawn in this game) by purchasing a
> Unix license with undisclosed terms?  Or Unix licensees, since they
> also effectively fund SCO?  Or Apple since they have agreements with
> Microsoft to support Microsoft Office?

Microsoft isn't blackmailing Linux users, is it?

> SCO's lawsuit only impacts the Linux kernel (where the apparent

Claimed, not apparent. SCO hasn't presented any information, so all is a
FUD campaign until now (Microsoft style).

> copying occured) and not any other open source software.  It is not an
> attack on open source in general (as it has been construed to be).
>
> My own feeling is that if someone did indeed copy SCO code into the
> Linux kernel (which multiple industry experts have confirmed under
> NDA),

"confirmations" under NDA aren't worth anything, since they cannot be
verified.

> gain from it.  Illegal copying of copyrighted source code is a crime
> like any other, and perpetrators should be incarcerated.

Libel is also a crime, in Germany; and SCO Germany has already paid
10,000 EUR penalty for violation of a Cease & Desist Agreement they
had issued. (They agreed not to claim Linux was infringing on SCO's
copyrights in Germany.)