Unixware

Bob Friesenhahn bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us
Wed Sep 24 21:17:36 CEST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, David Relson wrote:
>
> > Anybody successfully running bogofilter on Unixware, specifically
> > i686-UnixWare7.0.1-sysv5.  If which compiler are you using?  Did you
> > have any problems?  How'd you deal with them?
>
> No, and you should not invest a split second into getting our fine
> software working on Unixware.
>
> Unixware, OpenUNIX and OpenServer are SCO products, and given SCO's war
> on Open Source software and SCO's efforts to blackmail Open Source
> (Linux) users, we MUST NOT support SCO products.

Does this mean that you won't support Microsoft operating systems as
well (e.g Cygwin/MinGW environments), since Microsoft is effectively
funding SCO's lawsuit (SCO is a pawn in this game) by purchasing a
Unix license with undisclosed terms?  Or Unix licensees, since they
also effectively fund SCO?  Or Apple since they have agreements with
Microsoft to support Microsoft Office?

SCO's lawsuit only impacts the Linux kernel (where the apparent
copying occured) and not any other open source software.  It is not an
attack on open source in general (as it has been construed to be).

My own feeling is that if someone did indeed copy SCO code into the
Linux kernel (which multiple industry experts have confirmed under
NDA), then the problem code should be identified so it can be ripped
out and replaced.  Of course SCO will not show its cards before it has
to since then its lawsuit would become ineffective and they will not
gain from it.  Illegal copying of copyrighted source code is a crime
like any other, and perpetrators should be incarcerated.  If it did
indeed take place, then I would tend to think much less highly of the
Linux kernel maintainers.  Until evidence is submitted to a court of
law and a judgement is made, I will reserve judgement as to the actual
guilty party (SCO or IBM/Linux).  I would also suggest that no one
purchase a Linux license from SCO until that time.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
bfriesen at simple.dallas.tx.us