Kmail and bogofilter...

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Sep 23 00:20:55 CEST 2003

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 18:07:39 -0400
Jerry McBride <mcbrides9 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi group,
>
> I was interested in trading emails with anyone that has a working
> setup of kmail 1.5.4 using bogofilter as the spam blocker?
>
> I've found two good "how-to" files on the net that have excellent
> documentation and setup information. However it doesn't work.
>
> What I think is happening is, (kmail users only) when my filter does a
> "pipe though" to bogofilter, the message being tested isn't being
> marked as spam, even though bogofiler says it is and set the
> X-Bogosity line with "yes"...
>
> Kinda sucks.
>
> Anyone else here having success?

Jerry,

I'm not using kmail, so I'm not the resource you want - but I do know a
bit about bogofilter.

The X-Bogosity line says yes only when bogofilter has determined the
message to be spam.  If run simply with "-v" or "-p", bogofilter will
output the X-Bogosity line (and the rest of the message, if '-p' is
used) and will exit with a code of 0 for spam and 1 for ham.  In some
environments any non-zero return is considered an error, so bogofilter
has the '-e' option for setting the exit code to 0 (unless there's an
error).

The question then becomes, what is your filter testing for?  exit code?