dazed & confused

David N Murray dnm at jsbsystems.com
Mon Nov 10 21:54:42 CET 2003

Hi all,

I'm new to the list, but have successfully installed bogofilter at several
sites and am supporting it.  Amazing little piece of software.  Kudos to
all.

I recently (last Thursday night) installed 0.15.8 at a site.  My first
mistake was not paying attention and downloading 'current' instead of
'stable'.  I just noticed that error.  My problem is that I am suddenly
getting ~10% false positives.  When I was at 0.15.2, I was getting no
false positives (that I could find).  The sight handles ~21K messages a
day and my spam count jumped from 12K to 14K, overnight (by installing
.8).  I'm looking through the changelog and wondering how the 'discarding
of applications and images' is affecting me.  I've suddenly logged several
emails that had either just .PDF attachments or .JPGs as spam.  I also
have one word emails flagged as spam ('test' no less) from addresses that
should be 'whitelisted'.  BF never flagged anything from them before.

I have to admit that I got caught with my shorts down, and don't have a
handy spam & ham corpus in order to rebuild the database.  I'm working to
alleviate that now (I have a online backups of all email for the last two
weeks, which should give me a good start).

I run BF for the entire site out of a single database.  Every message gets
passed through 'bogofilter -u -3 -p'.

Has anyone else seen this behavior with 0.15.8?

TIA,
Dave Murray