RPM Upgrade

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Thu May 22 13:59:37 CEST 2003

On 20030522 (Thu) at 0745:27 -0400, David Relson wrote:
> At 03:34 AM 5/22/03, Peter Bishop wrote:
> >On 21 May 2003 at 19:55, David Relson wrote:
> >
> >> I understand your reluctance.  I recently updated my development machine
> >> from Mandrake 9.0 to Mandrake 9.1.  That resulted in an upgrade of glibc
> >> from 2.2 to 2.3.  Consequently when I ran "make rpm", it found
> >> glibc-2.3.  Until I find out how to force the rpm build process to use an
> >> older version, there will be an incompatibility.
> >
> >How about making a static build of bogofilter and bogutil ?
> >- this would make it OS version and library independent
>
> Peter,
>
> That's a possibility.  However there's a performance hit I'd like to
> avoid.  That opens the possible solutions to:

Wouldn't the binaries be humungous?  If I link bogofilter statically on
linux/glibc-2.2.5 I get a size of 3,675,399 bytes.  Stripped, it's
still 1,273,468.  That compares with 245,376 for the dynamically-linked
version.

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key: finger     |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   glouis at consultronics.com |