RPM Upgrade

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Thu May 22 14:13:18 CEST 2003

At 07:59 AM 5/22/03, Greg Louis wrote:
>On 20030522 (Thu) at 0745:27 -0400, David Relson wrote:

> use an
> > >
> > >How about making a static build of bogofilter and bogutil ?
> > >- this would make it OS version and library independent
> >
> > Peter,
> >
> > That's a possibility.  However there's a performance hit I'd like to
> > avoid.  That opens the possible solutions to:
>
>Wouldn't the binaries be humungous?  If I link bogofilter statically on
>linux/glibc-2.2.5 I get a size of 3,675,399 bytes.  Stripped, it's
>still 1,273,468.  That compares with 245,376 for the dynamically-linked
>version.

I agree.  Their size and attendant load time are two good reasons not to
use static linking.  However linking with glibc-2.3 creates problems for
people with glibc-2.2.  I _could_ create a bogofilter-static-0.13.0.

As indicated, I'd prefer a solution that allows me to dynamically link
against the older glibc.  The question is _how_ to do this.