Building Bogofilter on FreeBSD

Jon Reynolds jonr at destar.net
Mon May 5 14:18:13 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-05-05 at 04:08, David Relson wrote:
> At 06:55 PM 4/30/03, Sam Hills wrote:
> >I am trying to build Bogofilter on my ISP's server, which runs FreeBSD.  I
> >built BerkeleyDB and installed it in $HOME/usr, which has the following
> >subdirectories: lib, include, docs and bin.
> >lib contains libdb-4.1.a, libdb-4.1.la and libdb-4.1.so.0.0
> >
> >I used the following commands to do the build:
> >     env CPPFLAGS=-I/home/bbell/usr/include LIBS=-l/home/bbell/usr/lib
> > LDFLAGS=-L/home/bbell/usr/lib
> >     ./configure --prefix=/home/bbell --with-db=/home/bbell/usr
> >
> >configure runs for a while, then gives the following output:
>
> ...[snip]...
> >checking for library providing db_create... no
> >configure: error: Can not locate a suitable Berkeley DB library.  Use
> >--with-db=
> >PATH to specify the path to a v3+ install directory
> >$
> >
> >I have tried experimenting with the paths specified in the parameters;
> >some combinations abort even earlier than this one.
> >
> >This happened with both ver. 11 and ver. 12.2
> >
> >What do I need to do?
>
> Sam,
>
> I use Linux and am not too familiar with FreeBSD, but I'll make an educated
> guess.  Might the problem be that FreeBSD doesn't have the needed path for
>
> Building and running bogofilter with BerkelyDB involves pathing at 3
> points.  First, when compiling the code header files are needed.  Second,
> when linking library files are needed to resolve symbols for the
> executable.  Lastly, to run the program the library files need to be loaded.
>
> Looking at the end of config.log should give you more information as to
> exactly what went wrong.
>
> David

Sam, I just got done compiling bogofilter on FreeBSD and had the same
error. When you installed BerkeleyDB di it create a directory called
BerkeleyDB.4.1 or something like that? At any rate here is my config
line that I had to use, maybe it might help you.

env CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/include/db3 LIBS=-ldb3
LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/Berkeley.4.1/lib sh ./configure \
--with-db=/usr/local/Berkeley.4.1
--
Jon Reynolds <jonr at destar.net>