Building Bogofilter on FreeBSD

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Mon May 5 14:08:44 CEST 2003

At 06:55 PM 4/30/03, Sam Hills wrote:
>I am trying to build Bogofilter on my ISP's server, which runs FreeBSD.  I
>built BerkeleyDB and installed it in $HOME/usr, which has the following
>subdirectories: lib, include, docs and bin.
>lib contains libdb-4.1.a, libdb-4.1.la and libdb-4.1.so.0.0
>
>I used the following commands to do the build:
>     env CPPFLAGS=-I/home/bbell/usr/include LIBS=-l/home/bbell/usr/lib
> LDFLAGS=-L/home/bbell/usr/lib
>     ./configure --prefix=/home/bbell --with-db=/home/bbell/usr
>
>configure runs for a while, then gives the following output:

...[snip]...
>checking for library providing db_create... no
>configure: error: Can not locate a suitable Berkeley DB library.  Use
>--with-db=
>PATH to specify the path to a v3+ install directory
>$
>
>I have tried experimenting with the paths specified in the parameters;
>some combinations abort even earlier than this one.
>
>This happened with both ver. 11 and ver. 12.2
>
>What do I need to do?

Sam,

I use Linux and am not too familiar with FreeBSD, but I'll make an educated
guess.  Might the problem be that FreeBSD doesn't have the needed path for

Building and running bogofilter with BerkelyDB involves pathing at 3
points.  First, when compiling the code header files are needed.  Second,
when linking library files are needed to resolve symbols for the
executable.  Lastly, to run the program the library files need to be loaded.

Looking at the end of config.log should give you more information as to
exactly what went wrong.