How to avoid s p lit up wor ds?

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at buzzard.org.uk
Tue Jan 21 12:04:18 CET 2003

BarryGould at PennySaverUSA.net said:
> Well, if spammers start using embedded images, then we can mark
> everything  with embedded images as suspect.

The question is not if, but when. Six months ago we didn't see spam
in HTML format with comments to break up words, or broken up
works in ordinary plain text. If statistical spam classifiers
work then the spammers will have to resort to image based spam
to stay in business. Question is, can we find a way to deal with
these as well, or will the costs of image based spam but the spammers
out of business first.

> I rarely receive legit images, and when I do, they're usually
> attached, not  embedded, whereas most images in spam are currently
> embedded or linked.

In addition I would say legit images are more likely to come from people you
already know.

JAB.

Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan at buzzard.org.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44(0)1661-832195