Compiling in Red hat 6.2

Paulo Jan admin at digital.ddnet.es
Wed Feb 19 16:06:01 CET 2003

> Paulo,
>
> Given a "--with-db=some_path" value, the configure script looks for
> libraries in some_path/lib, for include files in some_path/include (if
> it exists) else in some_path.  (That code is at line 3147 in the
> configure script in 0.10.3).  On my box, I have a symlink from
> /usr/include/db.h to db3/db.h, which may help configure to find the
> needed header file.

	Okay, I tried adding a symlink to /usr/include/db3/db.h from
/usr/include (incidentally, to do that I had to rename a db.h that
already was there, and that seemed to belong to an older version of the
Berkeley DB). Now it works, but the configure fails with:

checking for db_create in -ldb-4... no
checking for db_create in -ldb4... no
checking for db_create in -ldb-3... no
checking for db_create in -ldb3... no
checking for db_create in -ldb-2... no
checking for db_create in -ldb2... no
checking for db_create in -ldb... no
configure: error: Can not locate a suitable BerkeleyDB libdb.so library.
Use --with-db=PATH to specify the path to a v3+ install directory

	After looking, it turns out that /usr/lib/libdb.so is a symlink to
/lib/libdb.so.3, which in turn is a link to /lib/libdb-2.1.3.so. No
wonder it couldn't configure it correctly.
	I have checked, and apparently the /usr/lib/libdb.so link belongs to
the glibc-devel package. Does anybody knows if messing with it (pointing
it to the other library) can cause any harm? How can I check if there
are any existing programs that depend on it? All of this is in a Red Hat
Linux 6.2, as I said.

					Paulo Jan.
					DDnet.