Compiling in Red hat 6.2

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Feb 18 16:52:35 CET 2003

At 10:45 AM 2/18/03, Paulo Jan wrote:

>>My Mandrake system uses db3, but I recently had to build and install db4
>>for some tests.  Its "make install" put the files in
>>/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1, so I had to use "configure
>>--with-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1" and things were ok after that.
>>Are you sure you're giving configure the correct path.? I accidentally
>>used /usr/local/BerkeleyDB-4.1 and configure went and found my db3
>>install and bogofilter complained when I had it open the db4 database.
>
>         I don't really know which path should I try. db3 is installed in
> /lib, while the headers are in /usr/include/db3. Which one does the
> configure script need?
>         The last message was something like "cannot find a suitable db.h
> file", so I tried with both of the above paths, and it failed in both cases.
>

>                                         Paulo Jan.
>                                         DDnet.

Paulo,

Given a "--with-db=some_path" value, the configure script looks for
libraries in some_path/lib, for include files in some_path/include (if it
exists) else in some_path.  (That code is at line 3147 in the configure
script in 0.10.3).  On my box, I have a symlink from /usr/include/db.h to
db3/db.h, which may help configure to find the needed header file.

Unfortunately, I do not know all the magic in configure and can't be of
more help.