Compiling in Red hat 6.2

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Wed Feb 19 16:18:04 CET 2003

At 10:06 AM 2/19/03, Paulo Jan wrote:

>>Paulo,
>>Given a "--with-db=some_path" value, the configure script looks for
>>libraries in some_path/lib, for include files in some_path/include (if it
>>exists) else in some_path.  (That code is at line 3147 in the configure
>>script in 0.10.3).  On my box, I have a symlink from /usr/include/db.h to
>>db3/db.h, which may help configure to find the needed header file.
>
>         Okay, I tried adding a symlink to /usr/include/db3/db.h from
> /usr/include (incidentally, to do that I had to rename a db.h that
> already was there, and that seemed to belong to an older version of the
> Berkeley DB). Now it works, but the configure fails with:
>
>checking for db_create in -ldb-4... no
>checking for db_create in -ldb4... no
>checking for db_create in -ldb-3... no
>checking for db_create in -ldb3... no
>checking for db_create in -ldb-2... no
>checking for db_create in -ldb2... no
>checking for db_create in -ldb... no
>configure: error: Can not locate a suitable BerkeleyDB libdb.so library.
>Use --with-db=PATH to specify the path to a v3+ install directory
>
>         After looking, it turns out that /usr/lib/libdb.so is a symlink
> to /lib/libdb.so.3, which in turn is a link to /lib/libdb-2.1.3.so. No
> wonder it couldn't configure it correctly.
>         I have checked, and apparently the /usr/lib/libdb.so link belongs
> to the glibc-devel package. Does anybody knows if messing with it
> (pointing it to the other library) can cause any harm? How can I check if
> there are any existing programs that depend on it? All of this is in a
> Red Hat Linux 6.2, as I said.

Paulo,

Good!  Sounds like you're making significant progress.  You can use locate
and rpm -qf to find libdb owners.  Below are the results from my Mandrake
9.0 with db4.1 built from source:

[relson at osage src]$ for i in `locate libdb.so` ; do echo $i `rpm -qf $i` ; done
/usr/lib/libdb.so.3 db2-2.4.14-6mdk
/usr/lib/libdb.so.2 db1-1.85-8mdk
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/lib/libdb.so file
/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1/lib/libdb.so is not owned by any package
/lib/libdb.so libdb3.3-devel-3.3.11-11mdk

For me, libdb.so is in libdb3.3-devel not in glibc.

To ask the stupid question, why not just install a newer db3 rpm?