Unregistering Mail

Greg Louis glouis at dynamicro.on.ca
Fri Feb 7 12:24:43 CET 2003

On 20030206 (Thu) at 1547:10 -0500, David Relson wrote:

> The -S and -N options work by decrement token counts in one wordlist and
> incrementing the counts in the other wordlist.  One enterprising bogofilter
> user modified his copy so that -S and -N are unregister commands.  To
> duplicate the actions of the normal -S (remove from from ham and add to
> spam), he uses flags -N -s.  Our -N (remove from spam, add to ham) is his
> -S -n.  This is a pretty nifty solution with a big problem.  If the code
> gets changed, it will break everybody's scripts.

Nice clean design though.  I'd like to see this in 1.0.

> We could add a config file option that would make -S and -N "remove only
> options".  People could ignore the option or use it if they want it.

Too complicated, I'd say.  User X's bogofilter would behave 'way different
from User Y's and they'd puzzle for half of ever before they noticed
the config file difference.  We need to make things more simple and
clean.

> Another solution would be to add an option that would make -S and -N
> "unregister only" actions.  This could be done with -U (which is currently
> available).  Thus -US would remove a message from the spamlist and -UN
> would remove it from the goodlist.  For flexibility -USn and -UNs could be
> allowed and would be equivalent to the current -S and -N.

This could be temporary while people fixed their scripts.  Tell
everyone the current -S and -N are deprecated and are going to change,
so they should start using US and UN now.  Then later, make US and S
synonymous (and UN and N of course) and later still do away with U
altogether.  Scripts would change twice, which is a pita, but nobody
need be taken by surprise.

> Do people want the ability to unregister mail?

I'd like that.

> Speak up or accept the majority decision :-)

Aww, nuts.  Just one more thing for the personal patch ;-)

--
| G r e g  L o u i s          | gpg public key:      |
|   http://www.bgl.nu/~glouis |   finger greg at bgl.nu |