registering spammails

Oleksandr Moskalenko malex at purdue.edu
Tue Feb 4 19:00:32 CET 2003

* David Relson <relson at osagesoftware.com> [2003-02-04 12:58:26 -0500]:

> At 12:42 PM 2/4/03, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:
>
> > In my case bogofilter doesn't filter anything into Spam folder at all.
> >It used to put everything into the spam folder, but that was resolved
> >with help from Greg Louis and Zack Brown. However, then spam emails
> >started showing in my Inbox. I saw this thread and tried doing those
> >checks suggested.
> >
> >This is what I got:
> >
> >bogoutil -w . .MSG_COUNT
> >                       spam   good
> >.MSG_COUNT                0   1973
> >
> >bogoutil -d spamlist.db | wc -l
> >  25365
> >
> >Why is spam message count equal zero whereas spamlist.db has 25365 lines?
> >
> >Also, "bogoutil -d spamlist.db | less" lets me see that there are a lot
> >of 'good' words in there. Should I remove it and start building the
> >spamlist.db anew?
> >

> >Regards,
> >
> >Alex.
>
> Hello Alex,
>
> You're doing the right thing - reading the list and experimenting with the
> various diagnostic tools.  Unfortunately I don't know enough to say what's
> gone wrong (or right) in the past.
>
> Having things all mucked up, it's time to start afresh.  Remove the old
> wordlists, then register a mailbox, then check results with bogoutil, then
> register the other mailbox, and check results.
>
> When registering a mailbox, it's a good idea to use the "-v" switch.  It
> will give you a summary line detailing number of tokens parsed and messages
> seen.  The command "grep '^From ' mailbox | wc -l" will give you an
> independent message count.
>
> I'm not going to address whether or not spam classified messages are going
> to your In box. If I remember your earlier postings, you're still learning
> procmail (as am I).  Let's get your wordlists built right, then procmail
> can be dealt with.
>
> David

  All right. I rebuilt the goodlist.db with messages from my 'People'
box. With 40982 words from 1333 messages.

Now I'll have to wait for some spam to come in as I don't have anything
to train bogofilter on right now. Then we'll see if it works.

Thank you.

Alex.

--
Oleksandr Moskalenko <malex at purdue.edu>