registering spammails

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Feb 4 18:58:26 CET 2003

At 12:42 PM 2/4/03, Oleksandr Moskalenko wrote:

>  In my case bogofilter doesn't filter anything into Spam folder at all.
>It used to put everything into the spam folder, but that was resolved
>with help from Greg Louis and Zack Brown. However, then spam emails
>started showing in my Inbox. I saw this thread and tried doing those
>checks suggested.
>
>This is what I got:
>
>bogoutil -w . .MSG_COUNT
>                        spam   good
>.MSG_COUNT                0   1973
>
>bogoutil -d spamlist.db | wc -l
>   25365
>
>Why is spam message count equal zero whereas spamlist.db has 25365 lines?
>
>Also, "bogoutil -d spamlist.db | less" lets me see that there are a lot
>of 'good' words in there. Should I remove it and start building the
>spamlist.db anew?
>

>Regards,
>
>Alex.

Hello Alex,

You're doing the right thing - reading the list and experimenting with the
various diagnostic tools.  Unfortunately I don't know enough to say what's
gone wrong (or right) in the past.

Having things all mucked up, it's time to start afresh.  Remove the old
wordlists, then register a mailbox, then check results with bogoutil, then
register the other mailbox, and check results.

When registering a mailbox, it's a good idea to use the "-v" switch.  It
will give you a summary line detailing number of tokens parsed and messages
seen.  The command "grep '^From ' mailbox | wc -l" will give you an
independent message count.

I'm not going to address whether or not spam classified messages are going
to your In box. If I remember your earlier postings, you're still learning
procmail (as am I).  Let's get your wordlists built right, then procmail
can be dealt with.