New 0.15.13 rpms

Chris Wilkes cwilkes-bf at ladro.com
Wed Dec 31 20:02:11 CET 2003

On Wed, Dec 31, 2003 at 01:28:38PM -0500, Gyepi SAM wrote:
> > Here's some selected output from my build commmand:
> >   rpmbuild -vv --rebuild bogofilter-0.15.13-2.src.rpm
> > The full log file and spec file are here:
> >   http://ladro.com/bf/rpm-0.15.13-2.log
> >   http://ladro.com/bf/bogofilter.spec
>
> The logs show a build failure for the static version. Therefore the missing
> file would be /usr/lib/libdb.a not /usr/lib/libdb.so which is a dynamic
> library. Does that file exist?

You're right (and I should of mentioned it): I have no libdb.a file on
this server.  I suppose that's the way the stock db4.0 RPM is installed on
RH9.0 -- on my other servers I built db4.1 from the source RPMs the
static library is installed.

> What's happening here is that configure tests for the presence of a
> .so file, but the static build process actually requires a .a file.
> Ideally, we should tweak the configure file to do the right thing in
> the presence of a '--enable-static' option.

I was hoping there was a way to specify in the rpmbuild that I did not
want to build the static version of BF, but (again with my limited rpm
knowledge) I could only find one "%package" in the spec file, and that
was for the static build.

> > You mentioned
> >   What may help is to install the source rpm, then use
> >   "autogen --with-libdb-prefix=/usr"
> > Not being an experience RPM user how do I specify that?  Should I put it
> > in my rpmmacros file?
>
> Easiest is to modify the spec file. BTW, I think just editing the 'configure
> line to add '--with-libdb-prefix=/usr' should be adequate.

I replaced the "--enable-static" line with "--with-libdb-prefix=/usr"
and itt ran some tests it made it past the original libdb problem.  If I
kept the --enable-static line in there it complained, rightfully so,
about not finding the libdb.a file.  Here's the new error:
  Processing files: bogofilter-debuginfo-0.15.13-2
  Requires(rpmlib): rpmlib(CompressedFileNames) <= 3.0.4-1
    rpmlib(PayloadFilesHavePrefix) <= 4.0-1
and then it complained about not being able to find the various
bogo*_static files under /var/tmp/bogofilter-0.15.13-root/usr/bin

Chris