can't find wordlist.db

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Tue Dec 30 14:41:21 CET 2003

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 14:26:09 +0100
Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, David Relson wrote:
>
> > Welcome to the exciting world of spam filtering with bogofilter.
> > You've chosen to experiment with bogofilter's newest supporting
> > program - bogotune.  That's great!  However version 0.15.11 also has
> > you using a program that has been undergoing development for the
> > past couple of months and has been changing rapidly.
> >
> > I'd recommend getting the newest release, which is 0.15.13.  I'm not
> > sure if my Mandrake 9.2 built RPMs are SUSE compatible or not and
> > suggest trying to install them.  If they're not compatible, then get
> > the.tgz and build from source.
>
> David,
>
> your reply prompted me to try the RPM  - and I must say we'd better
> reenable the Autoreq(prov) before going stable.
>
> The RPM will happily install on a system with the wrong BerkeleyDB
> version, only to fail horribly at run time.

I'll run an experiment with Autoreq(prov) to see what happens.  The
reason for Autoreq(no) was that my Mandrake-9.2 built RPMs couldn't load
on my Mandrake 9.1 system:

[root at nic bogofilte]# rpm -Fvh bogofilter-0.15.12-1.i586.rpm
   error: failed dependencies:
        perl(MIME::Parser)   is needed by bogofilter-0.15.12-1
        perl(POSIX)   is needed by bogofilter-0.15.12-1
        perl(strict)   is needed by bogofilter-0.15.12-1

Perhaps we need to add a list of Requires and BuildRequires directives
to bogofilter.spec.in?  I wouldn't object to having an updated spec file
and RPMs for the stable release.

> Some observations:
>
> - SuSE Linux 8.2 ships libdb-3.3.so in the "compat" rpm.
> Unfortunately,
>   the description of that rpm (rpm -qi) doesn't mention it.
>
> - GSL isn't listed as dependency
>
> - If Mandrake some day has GSL 1.4, the RPM won't work on SuSE who
>   install GSL 1.3 - the dependency should be listed manually and here
>   is where the fun begins. SuSE have named the package "gsl", but
>   other distributors might call it "libgsl". BuildRequires is not
>   sufficient for GSL unless we link GSL statically.
>
> - SuSE have the documentation installed to
>   /usr/share/doc/packages/%{NAME}, Mandrake seem to prefer
>   /usr/share/doc/%{NAME}-%{VERSION}.
>
> - SuSE don't call their package "autoconf2.5", but just "autoconf".
>
> - SuSE doesn't support .bz2 compressed manual pages
>
> - SuSE don't accept -ldb for the static link, they need -ldb-X.Y
>   instead. Passing this in the .spec file however ties the RPM to a
>   particular SuSE release - and SuSE shuffled their DB stuff again in
>   SuSE 9.0; db40*.rpm contains BDB 4.0, db*.rpm contains BDB 4.1 and
>   compat contains BDB 3.1 and 3.3.
>
> If there's a way to tell Mandrake to use .gz instead, that'd be good.

I'll check.

> There are days when I think that offering binary RPM packages
> creates more problems than it solves.
>
> Note that rpm -ta or such things won't work either unless we start
> making distributor specific changes - SuSE can be detected by looking
> if/etc/SuSE-release is present or by %{_vendor} being set to "suse",
> without quotes.
>
> All this distribution-specific junk, the lack of good documentation
> for RPM, make me think we should just kill RPM.

They can, indeed, be a pain.  I think dropping them is going too far.

> All this makes me re-think the config.rpath stuff yet again. Two
> sample entries, for different linker semantics:
>
> Solaris 8: /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3//lib/libdb.so
> -R/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3//lib
>
> SuSE Linux: /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1//lib/libdb.so -Wl,-rpath
> -Wl,/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1//lib
>
> This just sucks.

Indeed it does!