can't find wordlist.db

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Tue Dec 30 14:26:09 CET 2003

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003, David Relson wrote:

> Welcome to the exciting world of spam filtering with bogofilter.  You've
> chosen to experiment with bogofilter's newest supporting program -
> bogotune.  That's great!  However version 0.15.11 also has you using a
> program that has been undergoing development for the past couple of
> months and has been changing rapidly.
>
> I'd recommend getting the newest release, which is 0.15.13.  I'm not
> sure if my Mandrake 9.2 built RPMs are SUSE compatible or not and
> suggest trying to install them.  If they're not compatible, then get the
> .tgz and build from source.

David,

your reply prompted me to try the RPM  - and I must say we'd better
reenable the Autoreq(prov) before going stable.

The RPM will happily install on a system with the wrong BerkeleyDB
version, only to fail horribly at run time.

Some observations:

- SuSE Linux 8.2 ships libdb-3.3.so in the "compat" rpm. Unfortunately,
  the description of that rpm (rpm -qi) doesn't mention it.

- GSL isn't listed as dependency

- If Mandrake some day has GSL 1.4, the RPM won't work on SuSE who
  install GSL 1.3 - the dependency should be listed manually and here is
  where the fun begins. SuSE have named the package "gsl", but other
  distributors might call it "libgsl". BuildRequires is not sufficient
  for GSL unless we link GSL statically.

- SuSE have the documentation installed to
  /usr/share/doc/packages/%{NAME}, Mandrake seem to prefer
  /usr/share/doc/%{NAME}-%{VERSION}.

- SuSE don't call their package "autoconf2.5", but just "autoconf".

- SuSE doesn't support .bz2 compressed manual pages

- SuSE don't accept -ldb for the static link, they need -ldb-X.Y
  instead. Passing this in the .spec file however ties the RPM to a
  particular SuSE release - and SuSE shuffled their DB stuff again in
  SuSE 9.0; db40*.rpm contains BDB 4.0, db*.rpm contains BDB 4.1 and
  compat contains BDB 3.1 and 3.3.

If there's a way to tell Mandrake to use .gz instead, that'd be good.

There are days when I think that offering binary RPM packages
creates more problems than it solves.

Note that rpm -ta or such things won't work either unless we start
making distributor specific changes - SuSE can be detected by looking if
/etc/SuSE-release is present or by %{_vendor} being set to "suse",
without quotes.

All this distribution-specific junk, the lack of good documentation for
RPM, make me think we should just kill RPM.

All this makes me re-think the config.rpath stuff yet again. Two sample
entries, for different linker semantics:

Solaris 8: /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3//lib/libdb.so -R/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.3.3//lib

SuSE Linux: /usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1//lib/libdb.so -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1//lib

This just sucks.