problem building 0.15.7

Dave Lovelace dave at firstcomp.biz
Tue Dec 9 18:23:44 CET 2003

Matthias Andree wrote:

> Dave Lovelace <dave at firstcomp.biz> writes:
>
> > To try to move ahead, I did in fact try the hack I mentioned (changing
> > all occurrences of EX_OK to something else).  That compile is still
> > running (slow machine, by current standards), but I've seen one other
> > thing to ask about:
> > .L_E432                             libbf_gsl.a(libbf_gsl_a-exp.o)
> > .L_E435                             libbf_gsl.a(libbf_gsl_a-trig.o)
> > ld: bogofilter: fatal error: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to bog
>
> Dave, can we bother you to try bogofilter 0.15.10 and see if you get
> that compiled on your DGUX machine? There have been more files added to
> the included GSL after 0.15.7, and the str*casecmp() warnings should be
> gone now as well.

I have more serious problems when I try 0.15.10.
I'm running ./configure --with-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1, which is
(I'm pretty sure) what I ran on every earlier version I've done (including
the 0.15.7 that started this all out).  It goes through a lot of stuff,
ending with this:

----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----
checking for vsnprintf... yes
checking for strlcpy... no
checking for strlcat... no
checking for ld used by GCC... /usr/bin/ld
checking if the linker (/usr/bin/ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for shared library run path origin... done
checking how to link with libdb... -ldb
configure: error:
Remember to include your config.log.
----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----snip----

There is no file called "config.cache" anywhere in the directory tree,
according to find anyway.

> If it still fails, please include config.log and exact names and
> versions of your operating system, compiler, assembler and linker in
> your report.

uname -a shows:
dgux fci4100 R4.11MU06 generic AViiON mc88100
This is DG/UX for m88k architecture, on a DG AViiON.  I'll attach the
config.log file.  The compiler is gcc (apparently) 2.7.2.  Past experience
tells me that it was apparently customized by DG, and attempts to build a
newer version have not worked & got zero help from the development group.
(Posting at the time to a DG-related list told me that this was not my
experience alone.)  ld -V shows "ld: C Development Set  (CDS) 5.4"
I don't know what the assembler is called, so don't know how to tell
what that is.