problem building 0.15.7

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Fri Dec 12 00:58:41 CET 2003

Dave Lovelace <dave at firstcomp.biz> writes:

> I have more serious problems when I try 0.15.10.
> I'm running ./configure --with-db=/usr/local/BerkeleyDB.4.1, which is
> (I'm pretty sure) what I ran on every earlier version I've done (including
> the 0.15.7 that started this all out).  It goes through a lot of stuff,
> ending with this:

Argh, the safety net is lying on the floor :-(

I had put an option that warned you to replace --with-db by
--with-libdb-prefix, but that comes too late, when ./configure is
already dead.

>> If it still fails, please include config.log and exact names and
>> versions of your operating system, compiler, assembler and linker in
>> your report.
>>

> uname -a shows:
> dgux fci4100 R4.11MU06 generic AViiON mc88100
> This is DG/UX for m88k architecture, on a DG AViiON.  I'll attach the
> config.log file.  The compiler is gcc (apparently) 2.7.2.  Past experience

OK. The config.log confirms the lack of ranlib, but I'm at a loss WRT
the linker errors you're reported elsewhere. The config.log cannot help
me here, I'm afraid. :-/ I hope the nm output is elucidating, but I'm
not very acquainted with the things GSL does to build.

Can you fetch and build GSL on your system, and if so, install it? It
MAY solve our problem, because I have stripped configure.ac quite a bit
when importing the original GSL, and this may have cost features I
deemed unnecessary but that may be needed on DGUX.

GSL should be available from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/gsl/