problems using bogofilter v0.11.1.3

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Sun Apr 20 03:37:58 CEST 2003

At 09:33 PM 4/19/03, Torsten Kunkel wrote:

> > 1 - delete the wordlists
> > 2 - train with good message
> > 3 - train with spam message (8 times)
> > 4 - run bogofilter with spam message and "-vvv" flags.
> >
> > 5 - run script and save output to a file
> > 6 - send me a private email with .tgz with script, both messages, and the
> > output
>Ok,
>
>I did everything from above. My "goodmessage" got rated with
>0.21414 (or something like this). Then I changed 2 and 3, so the bad
>messages where first. My goodmessage got 0.415000.
>Seems like the very first message before rating a message has to be a
>non-spam-message, don't ask me why.
>
>After this I tested it with my other messages. The result was, that I
>removed the -N and -S flags. These flags made bogofilter broken. I
>took a look on the registered messages and saw good:0. I think using
>the -N flag bogofilter redused the number of messages rated as nonspam
>until he hadn't any message, after this every message got 0.41500.
>It works without -N and -S (using -s / -n).
>
>Very very much thanks for your help.

Torsten,

"-s" and "-n" are used to _add_ messages to spamlist.db and
goodlist.db.  "-S" and "-N" are used to _remove_ them from the
lists.  Commbinations "-S -n" and "-N -s" (also written "-Sn" and "-Ns")
can be used to move them from one wordlist to the other.

Using "-N" and "-S" without intending to _will_ cause trouble - as you seem
to have discovered.

Is bogofilter working better now that you've got _that_ problem solved?