multiple database updates?

David Relson relson at osagesoftware.com
Fri Apr 4 23:53:13 CEST 2003

At 02:13 PM 4/4/03, Dave Lovelace wrote:

>I'm planning to change the way we've got things set up (we've only been
>trying this for a week or so), & was doing some testing, & I see something
>I sure don't understand.
>
>We have a systemwide bogofilter.cf, which has in it the default path for the
>user's config file:
>     bogofilter_dir=~/.bogofilter

Dave,

I hope that this convoluted configuration is for test purposes.  Having the
system config file point to a user config file which points to a system
wordlist directory seems unduly complex.

"bogofilter_dir=~/.bogofilter" gives the directory for the wordlist
(database) files.  It doesn't pertain to the user_config_file.  To specify
_that_, use "user_config_file=~/.bogofilter.cf" (or comparable line) to
name the config file (not just its directory).

>I set up another dir for databases (by copying the files) in a directory
>under /usr/local/etc.  For a user account I use for testing, I added
>a line to that user's .bogofilter.cf file (& in fact this is the totality
>of that file):
>     bogofilter_dir=/usr/local/etc/bogofilter.lists

If the goal is to all users use the same directory, it would be simpler to
just name that directory in /etc/bogofilter.cf

>I then ran (logged into that account) this command:
>     bogofilter -vs < testmsg
>
>I see the following output:
>     Created directory /path_to_home_dir/.bogofilter .
>     # 160 words, 1 message
>And, indeed, there is now a .bogofilter dir with database files in it.
>
>Shouldn't the settings in the user's config file override the global
>settings?

I'll take a look and see what's going on with the directory usage.