configure failure os x

Michael K. Ter Louw mterlo1 at uic.edu
Fri Apr 4 00:31:14 CEST 2003

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Matthias Andree wrote:
> Would xlc (rather than xlc_r) work as well? I plan to let the
> "configure" script check for gcc, xlc, cc (in that order). It currently
> only checks for gcc and cc -- but I'm chary about using xlc_r as we
> don't use threads.

xlc wouldn't work.  The only one that would, out of those I tried (gcc,
cc, c89, xlc, and xlc_r) was xlc_r.  I think this might have been due to
how BerkeleyDB was built, but I'm not sure.  BerkeleyDB seems to be the
entity that is causing the thread dependency.

> cc on AIX machines apparently is a pre-ANSI compiler that supports some
> IBM-specific C extensions. xlc is the ANSI compiler, and xlc_r is the
> same as xlc with some options set for reentrant and threaded programs.

Ok, that clears things up a bit.  I don't know if this would cause errors
for a lot of people, but if it does turn out to be a major problem, it
might be worthwhile to look at BerkeleyDB's configure and see what it's
doing, and maybe even emulate the [compiler selection] behavior.  The
version I installed is 4.1.25.

Mike