configure failure os x

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Thu Apr 3 23:47:48 CEST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003, Michael K. Ter Louw wrote:

> So the process for compiling Bogofilter on this particular machine was:
> - Install BerkeleyDB in my $HOME
> - Untar bogofilter
> - set CC to xlc_r

Would xlc (rather than xlc_r) work as well? I plan to let the
"configure" script check for gcc, xlc, cc (in that order). It currently
only checks for gcc and cc -- but I'm chary about using xlc_r as we
don't use threads.

> I don't know why xlc_r has to be used to compile.  If you want I can send you
> the config.log from BerkeleyDB, which will indicate at what point it decided
> to use xlc_r instead of gcc.

cc on AIX machines apparently is a pre-ANSI compiler that supports some
IBM-specific C extensions. xlc is the ANSI compiler, and xlc_r is the
same as xlc with some options set for reentrant and threaded programs.

> Thanks, Matthias and David, for the help :D

You're welcome.