mailing list speed

Matthias Andree matthias.andree at gmx.de
Sun Oct 6 12:16:27 CEST 2002

On Sat, 05 Oct 2002, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 05, 2002 at 11:16:06AM -0700, Adrian Otto wrote:
> >
> > I'm also busy deciding what mailing list software I'm going to use. I'm
> > currently considering Majordomo 2.x and GNU MailMan. If you have an opinion,
> > today is the day to share it with me.
>
> I would discourage you from using MailMan, for the reasons given in
> the article http://www.jwz.org/doc/mailman.html.  Also, I somewhat
> concur with the assessment downthread that ezmlm is a pain for the
> user - I have no problem with it but I can definitely see how some
> might (everything *else* uses commands in the message body or subject,
> why must this one use magic To: addresses?)

You can make ezmlm-idx (not plain ezmlm) treat Subject commands at the
use of one ezmlm-make option; barring that, it's trivial to add
.qmail-subscribe and .qmail-unsubscribe files that pull the Subject
command out and forward the mail to the proper -subscribe/-unsubscribe
address.

I'm really not in favor of DJB's mail software, particularly not of
qmail, but show me the list manager that is so patient with an
occasional bounce because a virus made it to the list.