site usage of bogofilter.

Tom Allison tallison at tacocat.net
Sun Nov 10 00:46:57 CET 2002

David Relson wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> The folllowing question has come up:  How can bogofilter's spam and ham
> word lists be kept high quality and up-to-date without overloading the
> sysadmin with the maintenance taks?
>
> Suppose a bogofilter site had system level word lists _and_ user level
> word lists.  The system level lists would be provided (maintained?) by
> the sysadmin and would provide a basis for spam detection.  In addition,
> each user would have his/her own word lists (private) and be responsible
> for maintaining them.  (Of course, a user could choose to do no
> maintenance, in which case bogofilter would just use the system level
> lists).
>
> The system level lists could be updated as often (or rarely) as the
> sysadmin wanted.
>
> The user level lists need a simple way for the user to add messages to
> the spam and ham lists.  Suppose the system had two special email
> addresses, e.g. spam at example.com and ham at example.com.  The user could
> (would) forward received messsages to these special addresses.  The
> messages in the spam and ham mailboxes could be added to the appropriate
> user's word lists (determined by examining the forwarding info in the
> message header) by a procmail recipe, a cron job, or other mechanism.
>
> Note:  The ideas above are mostly derived from postings on the
> bogofilter mailing list.  I'm not sure if I've added anything other than
> collecting them into a single message.  None the less, I think it's time
> to think about deployment and usage ideas and issues.
>
> David

I use this today.  The email is forwarded back to self with the
one word "spam" or "nospam".  This works.  This is probably pretty
secure as everything takes place within the users own space.

$MYDOMAIN = `/bin/dnsdomainname`

:0
* $ ^^From $LOGNAME@$MYDOMAIN
{

         :0c
         * B ?? ^^ *spam$
         | $SPAMASSASSIN -R

         :0A
         | $FORMAIL -cI ""| $GREP -v "(^ *spam$|Original Message)"
| ${BOGOFILTER
} -r -S -l

         :0E
         * B ?? ^^ *nospam$
         | $FORMAIL -cI ""| $GREP -v "(^ *nospam$|Original
Message)" | ${BOGOFILT
ER} -r -N -l

}

--
We are experiencing system trouble -- do not adjust your terminal.